Essay On Co Education Merits And Demerits
The trend of co-education us getting more and more popular amongst the country like Pakistan and India, mainly in Sub continent, it is already very much common in the western world but now it is being adopted all over the world. The education system comprising of co-education system has many pros and cons, which is it is having several advantages and disadvantages based on the way this system is being adopted, used and utilized. These advantages and disadvantages are being illustrated below:
- One of the very core benefit and advantage of education system in which males and females study together is that the understanding between the two genders prevails and it becomes more comfortable for the individuals to get use to of such environment where both male and females work together. This prepares the students for the practical life when they have to work shoulder to shoulder with the opposite sex.
- It increases the confidence level of the individuals when they work with opposite gender. And if it is being done from the very initial level than it plays a vital role in the grooming of the personality of both the male and female students, this is because the individuals feel hesitant when they are exposes to opposite sex for the every first time so it is very much useful to eliminate this hesitation at very basic level so that both the males and females get use to of working together in their upcoming lives.
- The environment becomes very much controlled and within the limits when the people of more than one gender are present as this keeps the students to behave properly and avoid misuse of language or even other unethical activities. So co-education can plays a vital role in altering and modifying the nature and respect for the both genders.
- The very threating and fearful disadvantage is that the students can get diverted from their studies and can involve themselves in other activities apart from education which can results due to the attraction of the opposite sex. This might affect the educational career of the individual students at very initial level which can make the foundations very weak.
- One of the very significant disadvantages of co-education is that the students can get involve in unethical activities and even can get in to crimes. The unethical activities at very young age include the affairs, physical relationships and the crimes might include the rape and sexual harassment which might destroy the lives of the involved students.
- Very tight check and balance is required when the co-education system is to be implemented but in majority educational institutions the co-education is implemented but no proper check and balance is kept which makes the misuse and negative use of this educational system and that s when it becomes hazardous and dangerous.
2- Brief history
3- Coeducation in Pakistan
--> present scenario
--> 2 schools of thought
--> Coeducational conundrum
* our vulnerable youth
* venom of pornography & unethical movies in our society
4- Coeducation in Islam
5- Halsted's outline of muslim arguments against mixed sex schooling:
1- sex segregation is not unnatural
2- promotion of mutual understanding between both sexes with limits of islam is the responsibility of parents not schools
3- Inhibhits girls social & academic educational achievements.
4- Signicance lies in teacher - student relationship.
5- Identical treatment of both sexes is not necessary for the principle of equality
1- low concentration & wool gathering
2- sex trading for favour (proof: case study)
3- promotes immodesty & seedy relationships
4- Not suitable for subjects like Biology, sex education, gender studies.
5- Impeds girls extra curricular activities like sports, music, etc
6- presence of sex difference in brains (recent research)
7- girls get less attention, acquire less confidence (NEA REPORT)
8- Boys get less help, proves less cooperative (NEA: REPORT)
9- Encourages stereotypical roles of both sexes
1- Economical for underdeveloped country like Pakistan
2- Eradicates gender discrimination
3- promotes cooperation, toleration, & mutual understanding between both sexes
4- controlled environment
5- Encourages balanced personality development & future survival
6- Gives rise to educated society with openness of mind & heart
8- Present requirement of Pakistan: coeducation as need of hour
1- from Islamic view point
2- for government
3- for university level youth
4- for media & parents