Essay On Importance Of Physical Education In Schools
It is no secret that physical activity is necessary to a person's well-being. Because children are continuously developing physically and emotionally, they are especially affected by the benefits of activity – and inversely, the negative effects of inactivity. Educators can control the amount of exercise a child gets at home no more than they can control his eating habits or his family situation, and according to numerous studies, many children are neither active at home nor at school. Consequently, it is vital that schools provide physical education programs to ensure that each child stays active. First lady Michelle Obama's initiative Let's Move! reports that nearly one-third of U.S. children are overweight or obese, and that “schools are a key setting for kids to get their 60 minutes of play with moderate to vigorous activity, given the significant portion of time they spend there.”
Video of the Day
Physical education programs in schools directly benefit students' physical health. Getting the recommended amount of exercise combats obesity, which subsequently reduces the risk for diabetes, heart disease, asthma, sleep disorders and other illnesses. Regular exercise also contributes to cardiovascular health and promotes muscle and bone development. According to the National Association for Sport and Physical Education, school PE programs should require both fitness and cognitive assessments. In addition to participating in physical activity, students in PE learn the fundamentals of a healthful lifestyle, the building blocks upon which they can develop into healthy, knowledgeable adults.
Though a lack of attention on PE is often justified as an opportunity to spend more time in the classroom, studies show that physical activity contributes to improved academic performance. Regular activity during the school day is strongly associated with higher concentration levels as well as more directed, composed behavior. A statewide policy in North Carolina required that children from kindergarten to eighth grade participate in 30 minutes of physical activity each day. A survey of school representatives from 106 of the state's school districts reported that the most recognizable benefit of the mandate was “improved academic focus.”
Activities in PE help children develop healthful social interactions. From a young age, children learn cooperation through group activities and form a positive sense of identity as part of a team. Such group activities are continually important as children grow older. The International Platform on Sport and Development states that “sport has been used as a practical tool to engage young people in their communities through volunteering, resulting in higher levels of leadership, community engagement and altruism among young people.” Sportanddev.org also notes that positive character development through group physical activities depends on the program curriculum.
The benefits of PE to a child's mental health are both complex and comprehensive. Improved physical health, academics and social interactions all contribute to good mental health. Physical activity sets the stage for a good night's sleep, while obesity, caused in part by inactivity, is linked to sleep apnea. Sleep deprivation negatively affects the body's immune function, aids in memory consolidation and may cause irritability and impatience. Regular physical activity, in addition to adequate sleep, provide more energy to participate in hobbies and interact with others.
Lose Weight. Feel Great! Change your life with MyPlate by LIVESTRONG.COM
Meaning of physical education
Physical education has turned out to be an integral part of the lives of people where it ensures a better health and assures them a happy life ahead. As far as the meaning of physical education is concerned, it can be defined as the process of bringing changes in an individual’s life that are usually brought about by various experiences.
It not only aims at the physical health, but also incorporates other important aspects such as the mental, spiritual, social, emotional and moral health. All such things are acquired by the same sets of physical activities that can bring multiple benefits to an individual.
It would not be anyhow wrong if physical education is considered as a play way process of education. This is because it really educates people about various important issues such as proper eating habits, right lifestyles, and similar stuff but one never realizes that he or she is actually trying to educate themselves as they feel like playing and enjoying their time when they actually are involved in such physical education. Several people have given their own definition of physical education. As per some, it is an education of as well as through human movement in which various educational objectives are attained by him or her by the means of several muscle activities that involve games, sports, gymnastics, exercises and dance. As per others, it is a part of education that provides instructions towards the acre and development of the whole body ranging from some of the simpler exercises to the tougher ones.
Importance of physical education:
Physical education is not only about having a sound physical health but is also concerned about various other aspects of the personality of any individual. It works towards shaping the overall personality of a human being.
Given blow is a list of factors that would help people in knowing the real importance of physical education in the society:
- Maintenance of physical health: Physical fitness is one of the most vital aspects that determine the quality of life lead by any person. A healthy lifestyle ensures a better health and this is the reason that right eating habits along with the required exercise is known to be the key to a sound physical health. Physical education makes people aware about these factors and helps them attain good health through various activities that it incorporates.
- Confidence booster: A sound health ultimately leads to confidence boosting, when a person feels physically fit, he or she feels highly confident. Thus physical fitness helps in improving the confidence of a person.
- It further helps people understand about the right nutritional facts and about the proper eating habits. Physical education makes them aware of the things that are required in order to have a great health.
- It also makes people develop some important qualities like sportsmanship and team spirit. All such things help them grow in life.
- It also helps in ensuring an overall cognitive health that is associated with the mental health which is the first requirement in the modern times where everyone is highly involved in their busy lifestyles.
- what is the importance of physical education in our life
- definition of physical education and its importance
- physical education essay
- importance of physical education
- essay on physical education
- importance of physical education essay
- importance of physical education in schools essays
- paragraph of physical education